As is true of any trip abroad, it is recommended that for a long study trip you take out adequate insurance cover which is valid in Austria. In addition to health insurance, you should organise travel and repatriation insurance as well as accident and third party liability insurance (particularly for students participating in work placements).

Austria’s public health insurance system works well. EU and EEA nationals with valid national health insurance in their home country must present their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) at the hospital or doctors’ surgery in order to be seen free of charge.

Non-EU and non-EEA students must organise personal insurance cover for themselves as students with the Styrian Health Insurance Fund (Steiermärkische Gebietskrankenkasse – GKK), located at Josef-Pongratz Platz 1.

Costs for students are at currently € 55,40 per month and also cover visits to opticians and dentists. An income ceiling is, however, taken into account, as are certain other criteria (duration of studies and change of degree programme).´The EHIC card is sent out by post to students upon registration with the GKK which costs a further one-off fee of currently € 11,-. The EHIC card must be taken with to each doctor’s consultation or hospital appointment.

Private health insurance policies are also an option. Since the scope of the cover of such policies varies greatly, details of the cover should be read through carefully prior to signing. The advantage of private insurance is that policies are valid throughout Austria and provide sufficient cover for various illnesses (most also include repatriation).

Detailed information about insurance is available from the OeAD website.

© FH CAMPUS 02/Leitner