Research & Development
For the Degree Programmes in Marketing & Sales, applied research & development means finding scientifically validated results, answers and approaches to questions of economic interest and, thus, making a customer- and market-side contribution to value enhancement, innovation and sustainable development of companies. Our research activities focus on two main research areas, in which questions of scientific and economic relevance are discussed in theory and practice.
- Digital Platform Management
- Family businesses (FU) under digital transformation
Digital Platform Management
As part of the research focus “Digital Platform Management”, the Degree Programmes in Marketing & Sales deal with concepts, strategies and the right positioning so that you and your digital business model will become resilient and relevant in the future.
Covid-19 and its associated restrictions have given digitalisation an enormous boost and thus changed market structures and behavioral patterns of society profoundly. Interactions and the exchange of data between market participants are increasingly taking place via digital channels and platforms, making it all the more important for companies of all sizes to make the best possible use of these newly created opportunities for value-creating network effects. It is no surprise that today’s most successful companies are platform-based, because this is the only way to get the most out of interactions, innovations and flexibility.
The increased use of digital platforms is also revolutionising marketing and sales. Companies have to deal with topics such as digital communication, inbound marketing or the customer journey. In the area of sales, there is no getting around digital sales strategies, the digitalisation of sales processes or e-commerce and social selling. These new approaches pose great challenges for many companies and often cannot be optimally solved without external support. This is precisely why the Degree Programmes in Marketing & Sales aim to support you in these complex tasks. With the experience of over 600 successfully completed company projects in combination with innovative approaches in the field of digitalisation, we encourage you to make the most of your potential.
Family Business (FB) under digital transformation
In addition to researching the special features and challenges of family businesses (FB), this R&D focus is primarily concerned with the topics of digitalisation and digital transformation, sustainability (economic, social and ecological), successful succession, resilience, regionality/internationality, innovative strength, effectiveness and efficiency.
In Austria, about 54 % of all companies are family businesses employing more than 1.7 million people. In Styria alone, approximately 21,400 family-owned businesses with 216,000 employees generate 26.8 billion Euros. Around 20 % of family firms worldwide are in the hands of 2nd generation ownership, 12 % in 3rd and 8 % even in 4th or higher.
Covid-19, digitalisation and global networking have made the strengths and weaknesses of family businesses (FUs) visible. Numerous FBs were or are suddenly faced with challenges that require them to rethink and adapt their behavioural patterns. Some have succeeded in taking advantage of the challenge by changing direction. Others are stuck in the change process and are still looking for orientation and certainty. But for all Styrian FBs, it is worthwhile right now to adapt to the changing framework conditions and to initiate transformation.
- But what might such a change look like?
- What would it mean for the individual FBs?
- How do these integrate digitalisation into their FB?
- Which dimensions within the companies are primarily affected and required in such a process?
- Which business model suits this type of company?
- How can FBs perform in an increasingly digitalised business world?
- Are the customers already leading the way or do the FBs have to lead their customers accordingly?
Together with entrepreneurial families, we develop answers to these questions and provide scientific guidance. In a half-day workshop, researchers from CAMPUS 02 accompany Styrian family businesses on their way to digital transformation.
Universities & higher education institutions:
- DHBW – Dualen Hochschule Baden-Württemberg Mannheim
- Kompetenzzentrum Frau und Auto
- INALDE – Universidad de la Sabana
- IPAM Marketing School
- ISCEM (Instituto Superior de Comunicação Empresarial)
- SRH Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Medien Calw
- WIFU – Wittener Institut für Familienunternehmen
- WHU Otto Beisheim School of Management
Institutions and organisations:
- BANK BURGENLAND
- BANKHAUS SPÄNGLER
- Capital Bank – GRAWE Gruppe AG
- CD Invest Consult GmbH
- Deloitte Wirtschaftsprüfung
- FBN Österreich – The Family Business Network
- FMMI – Fachverband der Maschinen-, Metallwaren- und Gießereiindustrie
- gruenderland st
- Holzcluster Steiermark
- IV – INDUSTRIELLEN VEREINIGUNG
- ÖGV – Österreichische Gewerbeverein
- Raiffeisen Landesbank
- WKO Steiermark
- Young Science – Zentrum für die Zusammenarbeit von Wissenschaft und Schule